Ariana Grande’s Signature Ponytail Gets a Twist for the 2016 VMAs
Ariana Grande stepped onto the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards white carpet and we couldn’t help but notice that her signature ponytail gets a twist for the event. Her thick ponytail has some crimped details and she had on new fringe bangs to complement her picture perfect updo.
Aaron Light, the celebrity hairstylist behind Grande’s 2016 VMAs look, shares his tips to create the same flawless style.
“Ariana’s ponytail is her signature, so tonight’s look is a continuation of this classic, chic style that works for everything.” (Aaron Light)
Light posts a photo of all the products he used to create Grande’s ponytail on his Instagram account.
#arianagrande Ready for #redcarpet @MATRIXUSA #MatrixHair #StyleLink #BoostYourStyle #lightaaronhair #thewallgroup #vmas #nyc Here’s how to get her exact VMAs crimped ponytail with tips “Start by applying a small amount of Matrix Style Link Blow Out Big Queen (available in September) to damp hair. Blow dry bangs with 1 inch round brush and then place them in a 1 inch roller. TIP: If you don’t have rollers,wrap the hair around your finger and secure with a clip or bobby pin. Blow dry the rest of the hair so it is silky and smooth. Brush hair into a high ponytail on the top of the head and secure with a hook bungee. This will create a tight ponytail with no slippage. For thick hair, use two bungees. Spread a dime-size amount of Matrix Style Link Shape Switcher onto finger tips and brush hands backward from the hairline to the ponytail to smooth any bumps and secure flyaways. Repeat with a barbering brush for extra smoothness. Wrap a small piece of hair around the bungee and secure with a bobby pin. Spray ponytail with Matrix Style Link Mineral Rough Me Up Salt Infused Spray for texture. Remove roller from bangs and smooth as desired. To finish the look, take a few random pieces from the ponytail and using a crimping iron, crimp the hair from top to bottom. TIP: Dust finger tips with Matrix Style Link Mineral Booster Texture Booster and lightly run through sections before crimping for extra texture and volume.”
If you want to try Grande’s 2016 VMAs look, here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Apply a small amount of Matrix Style Link Blow Out Big Queen to damp hair.
2. Blow dry bangs with a one-inch round brush and then place them in a one-inch roller.
3. Brush the rest of the hair into a high and tight ponytail on the top of the head. Use a hook bungee to secure the ponytail.
4. Apply Matrix Style Link Shape Switcher on the hair, starting from the hairline and moving backward to the ponytail so that it appears smooth and secures any possible fly-aways.
5. Take a small clump of hair and wrap it around the bungee. Secure the hair with a bobby pin.
6. Spray Matrix Style Link Mineral Rough Me Up Salt Infused Spray on the ponytail for texture.
7. Remove the roller from bangs and smooth as desired
8. Using a crimping iron, crimp some of the locks on your ponytail.
And then, voila!