Deck of Cards Workout by Celebrity Trainer Gunnar Peterson
Fitness trainer Gunnar Peterson is a popular choice among celebrities, and for good reason too. Peterson is known for fun fitness routines such as the deck of cards workout he used for Amber Heard’s training for her role in Aquaman.
Peterson’s philosophy focuses on living healthy and keeping things simple. He uses bodyweight and athletic-based moves to help people reach their goals. His list of renowned clients includes Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Amber Heard, and Melanie Griffith. He is also the current Director of Strength and Endurance Training for the LA Lakers.
Deck of Cards Workout
One of the workout routines that helped Amber Heard get into shape for her role as Mera, Aquaman’s queen and fellow superhero, used a deck of cards.
Here’s how the deck of cards is used:
- Flip a card over and whatever number is on that card, that’s the number of reps you’ll have to do of each of the following exercises. The face cards are equal to 10 reps.
- Flip a second card over and that’s the number of sets you need to do.
So, if you flip over a Queen and a six, that’s 10 reps of each exercise, repeated 6 times.
Here are the 3 basic Deck of Cards Workout exercises:
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip-width apart.
- Squat down to place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Quickly jump, pushing your feet back into plank position.
- Do a pushup.
- Jump, feet back in.
- Return to standing position.
- Lie flat on your stomach, face toward the ground with your arms straight out in front of you, slightly bending your elbows.
- Raise your arms and legs at the same time, bringing your chest and thighs off the ground.
- Lower to return to start.
3. SPLIT SQUAT
- Start in a split position, with one leg forward and one leg back.
- Lower toward the ground, bending front knee to 90 degrees and back knee to almost touch the ground.
- Drive through the heel of your forward foot to return to start.
- Switch legs for each round.
Wrap up the deck of cards workout with 20 minutes of any cardio exercise of your choice.