Meatless High-Protein Cheesy Baked Penne is a Must Try
Gina Homolka at Skinnytaste.com shares the recipe for Cheesy Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies, a meatless high-protein pasta recipe that will not hurt your diet and weight loss goals. According to registered dietitians, at least 15 grams of protein at every meal is recommended and this recipe highlights cheese as a protein source.
Skinnytaste provides the following description for the Cheesy Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies:
Penne baked with cheese, sauce and loaded with healthy vegetables in every bite. Roasted zucchini, red bell peppers, asparagus, red onion and fennel are tossed with balsamic and herbs then roasted for the best tasting meatless baked pasta dish EVER!
The recipe contains 359 calories. It has a total preparation and cooking time of 55 minutes and serves 8.
Skinnytaste Cheesy Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables – loaded with zucchini, asparagus, bell peppers, fennel, etc roasted with balsamic and herbs ❤️ SO good! Made in partnership with my friends at @delallofoods 9 Smart Points • 359 Calories (1 1/2 cups) http://www.skinnytaste.com/cheesy-baked-penne-with-roasted-veggies/ link in profile
Cheesy Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies Recipe
For the Veggies:
- olive oil spray
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium (8 oz) zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium (8 oz) fennel bulb, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
For the Pasta:
- 12 oz Delallo Gluten-Free Penne
- 8 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1 (25.25 oz) jar marinara sauce (we love Delallo Pomodoro)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with oil. Toss the peppers, zucchini, fennel, asparagus, red onion and garlic with balsamic, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender on the lower rack of the oven, about 15 to 20 minutes stirring halfway, until slightly browned tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente, (undercooking slightly as it will continue cooking in the oven), drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, 6 tablespoons of the Pecorino Romano cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spray a deep 13×9-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Put half of the cooked roasted vegetables into the prepared baking dish, then half of the pasta and top with 1 cup of the sauce. Spoon the ricotta mixture on top of the sauce in an even layer. Cover with the remaining pasta, then vegetables, then the remaining sauce. Finish with the remaining mozzarella and 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melted.
The nutritional information for the Cheesy Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies recipe can be found here.